Spanakopita egg muffins These egg muffins freeze well for an “on-the-go” breakfast.
Makes: 8 muffins (234 calories)
Extra Virgin olive oil
8 large eggs
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoon sweet paprika
¼ teaspoon baking powder
1 (6oz) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and completely drained (wring out any water)
½ small yellow onion finely chopped (about ½ cup)
1 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 (4 oz.) block feta cheese, crumbled (1 cup)
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees
2. Generously brush the bottom and sides of the 8 cups of a muffin tin with olive oil. (If your muffin tin has more than 8 cups, fill any remaining cups with water)
3. In a medium bowl combine the eggs, oregano, black pepper, paprika, baking powder, and pinch of salt 1/8 teaspoon. (it helps to use a bowl with a spout to pour into the muffin cups). Whisk well then add the spinach, onion, parsley, mint, garlic, and feta. Whisk until well blended.
4. Pour the egg mixture filling each muffin cup ¾ of the way to allow for rising.
5. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the eggs are fully set. Set aside to cool briefly, then run a butter knife around the edge of each muffin to loosen. Remove the pan and serve, or freeze for later.