Calories: 330, Fat: 16 grams, Carbohydrate: 9 grams, Protein: 43 grams
1 pound Italian zucchini
4 ounces red tomatoes, sliced about 1/8 of an inch thick
1.25 pounds 96% lean ground beef
3 ounces light cream cheese
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon black ground pepper
1 cup whole Basil leaves (about 0.8 ounces)
1 cup shredded reduced fat Mozzarella (4 ounces)
1. Using a mandolin or a sharp knife, slice the zucchini in 1/4 inch slices lengthwise to make lasagna "noodles" (should yield about 4 cups of lasagna noodles). Sprinkle these with 1/2 a teaspoon of salt and allow to sit for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, combine the ground beef (browning the meat ahead of time is optional, but not necessary) with the pepper, cream cheese, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
3. Pat dry the zucchini (the salt is intended to draw out some of its moisture) and place one layer in a 9" by 13" casserole dish. Top this with a layer of beef mixture, a layer of Basil leaves, and finally a layer of tomatoes.
4. Repeat Step 3 until all of the ingredients are used up, the last layer should be zucchini slices. Sprinkle Mozzarela cheese on top.
5. Bake in 425 degree oven for 30 minutes until golden. Cut into four equally-sized portions and serve.